Thursday, November 27, 2008

My Experience in The Attorney General's Chamber

Sergeant here.

I wish to share my experience working in the AG chamber in Shah Alam during my holidays




For legal muggles, Attorney General Chamber is the largest law firm in Malaysia, owned by the government. The Function of AGC is to prosecute/charge the criminals, advise the government and defend the government if they are being sued.



Before that, let me ask you a question. Do you need to hire the best lawyer in town to charge that idiot that killed your father? the answer is----

No

Why? if you are rich, fine, what if you cant afford a lawyer? does that mean that the idoit can run free? Thus in this case, the Attorney General Chamber's will send his Deputy Public Prosecutor to charge him on your father's behalf. Of Course, free of charge, or to be precise, tax payer's burden ^^



So, along with two other classmates, i had my great time in the Shah Alam AGC for about 1 to 2 monthes,







When asked about which department that i am interested at, without a doubt, i yelled the Prosecution Department to Dato Zaumah- the state legal advisor for Selangor

She smiled and asked why? why not the land department which is closer to commercial world ?


Then i replied those heroic statement that a legal student always imagine. To uphold justice, fight the crime, blah blah . NONSENCE. i choose Prosecution Unit because i had completed my first year criminal law ^^ Land law is way too much for a first year grad like me. haha , sorry Dato.


Then, i was assigned to a master. Master Tuan Iskandar. He looks like my teacher back there in Kedah, En Nazri. the way they speaks. OMG , were they brothers? ahah
Of course, Prosecutors are busy. They claims that they are even more busy than commercial lawyer. Initially, i sensed over-exaggerate,



However, when i was brief by Tuan Roslan, the Head of Prosecution Unit in Selangor about a fact, i have to trust him without a doubt.



The fact is - there are 3000 investigation paper submitted by the Royal Malaysian Police each month, pending to be prosecute by the DPPs in Selangor.


Guess how many DPP are handling it?


Answer- 14 DPP and 18 AssistantDPP (only in MAgistrate Court)

there are 32 man dealing with 3000 cases pouring in each month. Can you imagine how busy will it be?Pathetic man, thats why Tuan Iskandar always tell me, DONT CHOOSE THE WRONG PROFESSION!

As part of my practical, i do visit to the court everyday, to watch the proceeding . Of course, to watch the one man show of my numeral masters.





The first picture, My classmate Shermaine and me.





The second Picture, Another master of mine, Tuan Salim. Congratualtion to him, he was promoted as the Head of Prosecution Unit for the State of Sabah and this will be his last week. He is kind enough to offer me his handphone number and asked me to dorp him a visit when i ever spend some times in Sabah. ^^ God Speed , Tuan Salim.







Behind us? the High Court of Shah Alam!

The very court that acquits Abdul Razak Baginda and Raja Petra Kamaruddin



Blessed with fortune, Tuan Alfred Egin ( my favourite DPP) is a close aquintance with YA Dato Zaki (the judge for Altantuya's case).Thus , he bring me to his excellancy's chamber.



I sat on the sofa next to him, and he was so eager to share his view on the Altantuya case

, however, i was bound by a promise to keep his word confidential ^^ anyhow, he told me that being a judge is a stressfull job and asked me to think twice before taken up this proffesion ^^ ok, i think twice, and i still want to become a judge ^^ ahah



Back to the court room. This is court room 3 , the very court that acquits ARBaginda.

It's here i present everyday to watch my master's show. its here i witness Tuan Iskandar cross examine a police (OMG, he is trembling while my master speaks), and Tuan Alfred Egin sent a drug smuggler into jail for 8 years with 6 rotans .












It is in this court room, i feel bad regarding the delay of justice. There's a legal idioms states that justice delayed is justice denied. most of my master's cases were between 2000 and 2002. Can you imagine that you are caught by a police today, and 8 years later, your trial is still on? imagine that you are innocent and caught by police at 18 years old, when comes to the time you are acquited , you're 26 years old already...


Nevermind, leave the sad thing to Dato Nazri.




Back to the office, we spent most of our time in the library, doing research, online, etc.



Beside me is Kwai Ling, another classmate who do the interns with me. in front of us, two strong guard and the librarian kakak ^^


the library, full with law books. i hated it ,because most of the books were outdated



i prefer to use the computer in the library ^^ have all the access to law journal lexis nexis and stuff.





I have to conclude that i obtained lots of practical experience througout the program. Of course, there are ups and downs along the training, nevertheless i enjoyed it.



Besides, i wish to share a little story with you all





In AG chamber' office shah alam, police have to submit their investigation paper almost in a daily basis. There is a place where the police will sit along a corridor, pending thier name to be called to meet the DPP.


I walked pass the corridor fully suited. Guess what


Eventually, a cadet ASP (two pips on shoulder) stand up and bow to me and said " selamat pagi Tuan" . I was shocked, his subordinate corporal, who works with motorbikes dare to stop my car and threat to issue summon , while him,the boss, bowed to me and greet me. what kind of feeling is that.
..................................................................................

On the last day, when i was about to leave,i asked the police (most ranked sergeant and above) to take a group picture with me. They were sitting that time.


Then, an inspector asked me what position they need to be in


I say, all of us stand in a row, then ask another friend to take the picture


Guess what he said to me


"Tuan , Tuan sila duduk, Kami berdiri Tuan"


Can you beleive that he is an inspector and i am just a student?







Cheers ! happy working in the AG chamber!

2 comments:

goooooood girl said...

http://pubmusichall.blogspot.com/

IvanFran said...

how did you apply for the internship? I am very interested but am unsure how to go about it